Company: Bourne Dental Associates
Posted on: January 10, 2022
The Patient Coordinator is responsible for promoting practice
growth through effectively implementing administrative procedures
and a positive, professional presentation as a member of the admin
team. This position will project the positive, friendly atmosphere
of our practice by welcoming all visitors in a cheerful and
professional manner, maintain a positive relationship with local
specialists, and deliver superior customer service. Provide
information to callers, perform routine clerical and administrative
functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments,
organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files. Responsible
to prepare, present, and schedule patients for treatment plans
following Dentist's and/or Associate Dentist's exam notes and
direction. Set up any financial arrangements, collect payments from
patients and insurance companies. Direct and ensure compliance of
office personnel on company policy regarding collection procedures.
The Patient Coordinator is responsible for insurance verifications,
the processing of insurance claims, and management of relationships
with insurance carriers. Contacts insurance companies and patients
regarding coverage determinations and outstanding balances.
Researches and resolves insurance billing issues. GENERAL
REQUIREMENTS, WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Sitting 80%
- Standing/walking 20%
- Moderate noise levels from medical and surgical equipment
- Medical, office, and lab setting
- Exceptional hand dexterity and typing skills to work with
standard software programs provided.
- Good mathematical aptitude in order to prepare and interpret
financial reports, collect, and track payments and account
balances, and maintain financial integrity for the practice.
- Minimum lifting requirements of 35 pounds in order to accept
equipment deliveries, and pack and unpack office supplies.
- Frequent client and interoffice personnel interaction as this
position meets and greets patients and is heavily dependent on
excellent customer interaction.
- Hearing - must be able to hear telephonic equipment and
comfortably communicate with patients and others by telephone and
- Near Vision - the ability to see details at close range (within
a few feet of the observer) as required for computer data entry and
the preparation of treatment plans.
- Manual Dexterity - the ability to quickly move your hand, your
hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp,
manipulate, or assemble objects.
- Active Learning - understanding the implications of new
information for both current and future problem-solving and
- Must demonstrate excellent communication skills - talking to
others to convey information effectively. ESSENTIAL ROLE
- Maintain thorough and accurate patient records using the
practice's management software.
- Stock all needed supplies and maintain equipment.
- Understand and utilize knowledge of insurances and financial
- Properly handle specialty referrals.
- Successfully maintain recall system.
- To the extent available, able and/or cross-trained, help any
staff member that may need assistance.
- Welcome patients and visitors cheerfully.
- Operate telephone switchboard to answer, screen and forward
calls, providing information, taking messages, and scheduling
- Greet visitors and callers, handle their inquiries, and direct
them to the appropriate persons according to their needs.
- Learn to operate new office technologies as they are developed
- Memorize and use scripts effectively both over the phone and in
- File and maintain records.
- Collect, sort, distribute and prepare mail, messages, and
- Provide information about the practice, such as location of
offices, employees within the organization, or services
- Transmit information or documents to patients, using computer,
mail, or facsimile machine.
- Directly assists the doctor to create and prepare financial
arrangement and insurance options that meet both patients' and
- Specialized understanding and experience in handling insurance
and billing matters in a medical setting.
- Processes insurance payments and ensures timely collection from
patients and insurers.
- Provide, and complete insurance paperwork and obtain
information from patients' insurance provider(s) as needed to
- Create, prepare, and work with the doctor to create financial
arrangement options that meet both patients' and practice's
- Current knowledge of the Fair Credit Standards Act and its
application to dental offices and the ability to ensure all
personnel compliance to Act.
- Present and explain plans to patients before treatment(s) is
- Ensure timely collection from patients, including payment or
insurance processing, as necessary.
- Actively pursues provision of excellent patient service.
- Must be able to comfortably and efficiently handle multiple
deadlines and task assignments.
- Must be able to work both independently and cooperatively in
- Participate in morning huddle, and provide information
regarding patients financial/ insurance status, patient treatment
needs if necessary (i.e. emergency patients) and decide appropriate
emergency patient appointment times with team.
- Adhere to strict safety guidelines and procedures to OSHA and
- Must always represent the practice in a professional, pleasant,
and cooperative manner.
- Maintain regular attendance and adhere to assigned work
schedule and office policies.
- Always maintain the highest level of confidentiality to HIPAA
- Must be comfortable seeing and able to maintain a professional
demeanor and attitude while working around blood and smells that
may be unpleasant.
- Other duties and tasks, as assigned periodically. ESSENTIAL
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of dental records and
- Able to perform basic computer functions using practice
- Must be detail oriented in order to maintain good financial
practices, account balances, and financial reporting.
- You must be flexible and understand that your job duties may
change from time to time and that you may be asked to "help out" in
other areas of the office.
- Must demonstrate active listening - giving full attention to
what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points
being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting
at inappropriate times.
- Must demonstrate good reading comprehension - understanding
written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Information ordering - the ability to arrange things or actions
in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set
of rules (e.g., patterns of numbers, letters, words, pictures,
- Comply with company's standard operating protocols and
- Exercise knowledge of dental terminology.
- Comply with practice guidelines listed in employee
- Always follow the company's core values- Trust, Integrity,
Positive, Excellence- for yourself, the team, and our patients.
CORE PROFESSIONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Participate in marketing efforts, patient contact.
- Use downtime constructively.
- Performs light housekeeping around office.
- Must be detail oriented in order to work efficiently in small
spaces and maintain patient comfort.
- Must excel in forward thinking in order to anticipate the needs
of the patient.
- Problem Sensitivity - the ability to tell when something is
wrong or is likely to go wrong.
- Ability to calm and reassure patients facing uncomfortable or
- Act in a professional manner with patients, providers, staff
members and management.
- Develop excellent rapport with both patients and staff.
- Administer a positive "can-do" attitude.
- Perform efficiently within in a fast-paced, busy environment
while maintaining composure, staying on task, and providing a
high-quality service experience for patients.
- Engage and interact well with people at all levels of the
organization, both internally and externally.
- Work collaboratively and productively as a team player, taking
the time to assist other staff members without being asked or
- Be open and flexible to support change, with varying schedules
and/or office assignments, as necessary.
- Be self-motivated with the ability to exceed patient
- Possess excellent organizational skills to effectively handle
- Support and exemplify corporate vision and strategy.
Keywords: Bourne Dental Associates, Nantucket , Patient Coordinator, Other , Barnstable, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!