Company: Partners Healthcare System
Posted on: June 10, 2021
Part-time, 20 hours per week, Day shift
Working together with our community to achieve whole person
wellness through health and related services.
An island community that enjoys physical, mental, emotional, &
Assists in the transportation, preparation and serving of food
for patients. Performs a variety of cleaning duties in accordance
with established procedures. Practices safe food handling
techniques. Fills in for other MSAs that are absent due to
vacation, holidays, and illness.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares food and performs sanitation duties in accordance with
sanitary regulations and established infection control
- Reviews patient menus, therapeutic and regular diets prior to
setting up tally and tray assembly, assuring that they are in
compliance with diet orders
- Administers modifications to patient diets prior to setting up
tally and tray assembly as necessary. Informs pertinent department
personnel of changes and/or special requests in a timely
- Processes diet changes and new diets as received from the
Nursing Department, Dietitian or Physician.
- Communicates food needs for therapeutic diets in accordance
with planned menus and established procedures.
- Works with departmental supervisory staff to implement
recommended changes as required.
- Offers patients appropriate substitutions whenever
- Assists the Dietitian with the development and implementation
of diet plans and recommended changes for individual patients.
- Interviews patient and/or family members to obtain diet
preference, tolerance and allergy as required.
- Maintains a record of patient likes, dislikes, allergies, and
tolerances according to established procedure.
- Assures that patient menus are presented, maintained, and filed
according to established procedures.
- Assures that meals are served on time; assisting
inter-department personnel as may be required.
- May be assigned to drive off-campus to transport patient meals
from another location back to the hospital.
- Holds hot foods in steam tables, and cold foods under
- Demonstrates an accurate understanding of HACCP. Practices
HACCP principles in all aspects of food preparation, handling and
- Assembles patient trays prior to distribution. Assures all
items are on tray according to established procedures.
- Performs hand hygiene prior to delivering meals to
- Delivers meals to patients and their guests assuring that meals
are delivered on time. Requests assistance from appropriate
department personnel as may be required. Picks up used patient meal
trays and returns them to kitchen.
- Monitors the quality and quantity of food served to patients.
Requests correction and/or assistance from appropriate department
personnel as necessary.
- Assures that food tally is complete prior to next assigned
- Completes calorie counts and meal intakes as directed by the
Dietitian or diet order.
- Fills out production sheets with all pertinent information
before the end of each shift. Documents temperatures of food at
pick up location and again prior to service.
- Stocks and rotates items for the Diet Kitchen in accordance
with sanitary regulations. Ensures that a par level is maintained
at an adequate level. Keeps Diet Kitchen clean and organized.
- Cleans and/or defrosts refrigerators in OB and diet kitchen as
- Assures that a par level of stable foods is maintained at an
adequate level at all times.
- Stocks and rotates patient desserts in accordance with sanitary
regulations and established procedures. Assures that a par level is
maintained at an adequate level.
- Restocks vending machines.
- Assists in maintaining Founders Building kitchen/pantry areas
in a clean and organized manner surrounding events held in the
- Responsible for food preparation, set-up, and break down for
patient, staff, contract meals, in-house functions, and outside
catering as directed.
- Demonstrates the ability to operate food service and office
equipment that is appropriate to the position.
- Assists with inventory and storage of in-coming food and
supplies as necessary.
- Responsible for placing the orders when the Manager is unable
to do so including but not limited to: Beverage Order, Candy Order,
Coffee Order, Food Order Cleaning Supplies Order.
- Assists in maintaining the Food Service Department in a safe
and sanitary manner.
- Attends department in-services and special meetings.
- Participates in departmental studies and projects. Assists with
department's performance improvement activities.
- Interprets with accuracy department and Hospital policies and
- Develops and maintains rapport with Food Service Department
personnel, to assure that services are maintained to meet the needs
of the patient and/or customer.
- Develops and maintains rapport with other departments and
health professionals within the facility and outside contracts or
agencies to assure that services are maintained to meet the needs
of the patient and/or customer.
- Reports all hazardous conditions/equipment to the Food Service
Manager immediately. Takes appropriate action in absence of
- Reports all accidents/incidents as established by Hospital
policy and procedure.
- Answers department telephones providing routine information,
taking messages, and/or referring call to appropriate party.
- Maintains equipment, supplies and work areas in a clean and
organized manner. Performs daily or scheduled cleaning duties.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Experience Required for the
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience Required
- Ability to tactfully communicate with both internal and
- Ability to handle stress and work in emergency situations.
- Ability to use a telephone/fax machine, computer/typewriter,
and copier. Dishwasher, thermometer, blender/frappe machine,
kitchen utensils, coffee maker, microwave, and manual cleaning
equipment. Also, use of van/car.
- Ability to stand and walk constantly.
- Ability to lift fifty (50) pounds unassisted.
- Ability to bend, twist, crouch, squat, pull, push, reach, and
remain stationary for short period of times and perform repetitive
- Frequent bending, twisting, crouching, squatting, pulling,
pushing, and reaching required, as well as the ability to remain
stationary for long periods and perform repetitive motions
- Ability to use hands, fingers, arms and wrists, hearing, taste,
smell, and verbal skills are required in order to perform job
- Utilize gloves, safety glasses, and protective clothing
- High School Degree or GED required.
- Prior experience of greater than 1 year but not more than 2
- Hospital or institutional food service experience (within the
last 5 years).
- Valid driver's license is required.
- Serve Safe Certification within 3 months of hire.
Required Behavioral Skills
- Dedication to Excellence: Commitment to work together to meet
the needs of those we serve in the most competent, professional and
- Respect: The dignity and individual rights of every patient and
employee are seen as the responsibility of every caregiver,
employee and patient.
- Integrity: Commitment to the highest personal, organizational
and ethical standards; providing patient care in a responsible,
- Quality: Efficient service to the community with the highest
level of skill while striving for continuous improvement.
- Confidentiality: Privileged information is protected, and
privacy standards are upheld.
- Communication: Effective and appropriate exchange of
information with our patients, community, staff and partners in
- Safety: Dedicated to providing an emotionally and physically
safe and accessible environment for patients, staff and
- Teamwork: Fostering an open, creative, and challenging work
environment built on respect.
- Scheduling may be consistently flexible to meet work
- May be exposed to the following hazards: temperature
fluctuations, fumes/smoke, noise, dust, cleaning chemicals, walk-in
freezer is -10, food expediting requires going out doors, floors
often wet, kitchen not air conditioned, kitchen is often crowded
with visitors, and use of sharp knives.
- Shift as assigned by manager, work weekend hours consistently
required to accomplish job duties/responsibilities. Ability to work
up to 12-hour shifts. Works holidays if shift falls on that
- Must be available to work in the case of a Hospital declared
Keywords: Partners Healthcare System, Nantucket , Multi-Service Associate, Other , Nantucket, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!