Company: Department of Veterans Affairs
Posted on: May 31, 2021
This Nursing Assistant position is located with the Community
Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC) in Hyannis, MA. This is a full-time
permanent position and is a bargaining unit position.
If you are not a U.S. citizen, you will not be found eligible
for this position.
Learn more about this agency
- Provides appropriate care for Veterans, taking into
consideration diagnosis, age, physical, psychological,
psychosocial, spiritual and cultural needs.
- Safeguards patient privacy and maintains confidentiality of all
electronic and printed patient information according to HIPAA
- Performs a wide variety of treatment procedures that may
include: Applying topical non-prescription ointment, powders,
creams and lotions, and hot packs and cold packs.
- Applies monitor leads to the patient for telemetry.
- Performs EKG as instructed by registered nurse.
- Performs bladder scanning as instructed.
- Promptly reports all accidents to supervisor and notifies
supervisor promptly of unsafe or unhealthy environmental
- Practices safe body mechanics, uses safe handling equipment,
and/or requests help when needed in moving, lifting, or positioning
of patients to prevent injury to patient, self or others.
- Complies with safety rules and regulations for safe job
performance and fire protection.
- Complies with infection control regulations, such as hand
washing and wearing of appropriate personal protective equipment
Work Schedule: The work schedule will be determined based on the
needs of the Medical Center. The Providence VA Medical Center is an
acute care facility operating 24 hours a day 7 days a week. While
most tours of duty are scheduled during the day, the possibility of
working evenings, nights and weekends does exist. Shift changes
will be considered based on patient and facility needs
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this
0621 Nursing Assistant
- Assistants, Medical
- Assistants, Nursing
- Medical Assistants
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online
- Must pass a pre-employment physical
Applicants pending the completion of educational or
certification/licensure requirements may be referred and
tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed
when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance
with VA Policy.
- English Language Proficiency: Must be proficient in spoken and
- Education: One year above high school with courses related to
the Nursing Assistant occupation. Completion of an intensive,
specialized, occupation-related course of study of less than one
year as a nursing assistant may also meet in full the [basic]
- Experience: One year of creditable experience can be defined as
assessing and recording vital signs, identifying changes in
patient's mental/emotional well being/behavior and reporting
changes timely to Mental Health Provider, deescalating volatile
patient behavior as a part of a multidisciplinary team,
demonstrates knowledge, skills, and abilities that are directly
related to the specific assignment.
- Education: Successful completion of a 4-year course of study
above high school leading to a bachelor's degree that included 24
semester hours of courses related to health care or possession of a
In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the professional
- Ability to assist in the full range of nursing care to
patients/residents with physical and/or behavioral problems in a
hospital, long term care or outpatient setting under the direction
of a Registered Nurse and/or Licensed Practical Nurse.
- Ability to communicate orally with patients/residents,
families, interdisciplinary team and other personnel. This includes
serving as a preceptor to new Nursing Assistants by experience
while in a clinical setting.
- Ability to recognize and react to emergent patient/resident
care situations and intervene while waiting for assistance. For
example, recognizing need for basic life support, controlling
bleeding and assisting with behavior crisis, etc.
References: VA Handbook 5005/81 Part II, Appendix G4The full
performance level of this vacancy is GS-05.
Physical Requirements: This position requires visual acuity,
keen hearing, clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This
position requires potentially long periods of continued walking,
standing, stooping, sitting, bending, pulling, pushing, and lifting
up to 35lbs. Transferring patients and objects may be required. The
incumbent may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated
materials and may be required to don protective clothing in
isolation situations or operative/invasive procedures. The
incumbent may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative
secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The
incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable
of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift
priorities based on patient needs. The incumbent must be able to
navigate all areas of the facility. This position potentially
requires flexibility in schedule and assignment, as the medical
center is a 24/7 operation.
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application
if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S.
Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities,
schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal
employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/.
If you are using foreign education to meet qualification
requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency
with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
For further information, visit:
Keywords: Department of Veterans Affairs, Nantucket , Nursing Assistant, Other , Hyannis, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!