Nurse Practitioner-Per Diem
Company: Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH)
Posted on: March 24, 2019
Under the supervision and direction of the Supervising Physician
and Practice Director, and in accordance with the rules and
regulations of Massachusetts governing Nurse Practitioners
practice, the Nurse Practitioner (NP) will be responsible for the
evaluation and management of patients in the MGPO primary care
practices. The role of the NP may include patient histories,
physical examinations, arrange diagnostic procedures, coordinate
consultations, implement treatment plans, communicate with
referring physicians and provide patient and family education.
The primary function of the Nurse Practitioner role is to provide
direct patient care for patients in a medical Walk-in environment
in a timely and high-quality manner in collaboration with
physicians, nurses and the other members of the multidisciplinary
team. This may include rotation to the primary care clinics to see
same day/urgent on an as needed basis.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Provides direct care to a select patient population in
collaboration with the physician.
* Performs and accurately records the patient history and physical
exam in the electronic medical record and discusses findings with
* Utilizes advanced nursing knowledge to identify, prevent or solve
complex and/or recurring patient care problems.
* Follows and manages patients (in collaboration with MD and other
staff) enhancing continuity of care.
* Performs (oversees/assures completion of) specialized procedures
particular to the select population mutually agreed upon with
* Performs medically delegated aspects of patient care as agreed
upon by nursing and medical administrators according to practice
* Collaborates with NCMG & NCH staff and physicians to facilitate a
comprehensive plan of care and coordinate resources.
* Writes orders which are in accord with current guidelines.
* Maintains and practices in accord with practitioner guidelines
per state and hospital regulations
* Provides consultation to both nurses and physicians.
* Correctly bills according to coding standards and Partners
* Serves as a resource to staff in area(s) of expertise.
* Serves on appropriate intra and interdepartmental committees.
* Participates in the development of formal and informal
educational programs for the unit-based nursing staff.
* Develops educational programs within area of expertise.
* Collaborates with unit staff, Clinical Educators, Staff
Specialists and other health care professionals to meet staff and
patient educational needs.
* Monitors patient outcomes in accordance with defined standards of
* Collaborates with Practice leadership, clinical nurses and
medical staff to plan, implement and evaluate pertinent change in
practice and health care delivery.
* Identifies system-wide factors contributing to undesirable
outcomes, such as complications, increased length of stay and over
utilization of services.
* Facilitates patient movement through the system and efficient use
of resources through interdepartmental collaboration.
* Supports research efforts to advance knowledge and to promote
* Evaluates own practice and program effectiveness.
* Identifies pertinent nursing and health delivery problems for
* Evaluates current research findings for clinical specialty and
determines applicability to unit practice.
* Assists nursing and medical colleagues in research efforts.
* Responsible for own professional growth and maintenance of
* Maintains the standards and educational requirements specific to
the position and licensure.
* Identifies own learning needs and goals.
* Takes responsibilities for leadership and participation on
committees and task forces of the clinic, DON and the hospital.
* Maintains and updates clinical knowledge and skills based on
current health care practice/research.
* Current licensure to practice as a Nurse Practitioner in
* Current certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner and
authorization to practice as a nurse practitioner in
* Master's degree required in nursing.
* Previous experience in Primary care required
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Demonstrated competence in Family Practice and Internal
* Ambulatory Outpatient Hospital Setting, medical walk-in clinic,
Normal office conditions. Will be provided with computer and other
equipment/supplies necessary to perform outlined duties.
* Regular office hours and work week required at most times, some
scheduled changes may be required to meet the needs/demands of the
* Ability to frequently bend, using back and knees, stand and walk.
Ability to frequently climb, bend, reach, stoop, squat, help lift
objects from five to fifty pounds and transfer patients via
wheelchair or stretcher. Ability to independently lift from five to
* Must be available to work in the case of a Hospital declared
The hospital does not discriminate on the basis of race, color,
national origin, citizenship, alienage, religion, creed, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or disability.
Keywords: Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH), Nantucket , Nurse Practitioner-Per Diem, Healthcare , Nantucket, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!