Registered Nurse-Infusion-Full Time
Company: Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH)
Posted on: March 13, 2019
The Chemotherapy/IV therapy Nurse functions as an experienced clinical Registered Nurse in coordinating patient care and collaborating with other care providers and health team members to provide high-quality care of patients needing outpatient infusion therapy. This nurse acts as a patient guide and advocate by assisting patients and families to seek information, ensuring informed consent regarding treatment decisions and promoting the maximal level of patient-desired independence. This nurse is accountable for delivering care to the patient within the framework of the nursing process. This is a clinical position assuming department wide responsibility.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Assessment: The IV Therapy Nurse systematically and continually collects data regarding the health status of the patient. This data is communicated in a timely manner with other members of the health care team as needed.
* Collects pertinent objective and subjective data in a timely manner, ongoing, systematic, and culturally competent manner.
* Collects data from multiple sources, including the patient, the family, the interdisciplinary cancer care team members, and the community using appropriate assessment techniques.
* Uses theoretical and evidence-based concepts in nursing to assess individual patient populations.
* Collects data in problem areas that may include but are not limited to health promotion, patient/family education, coping, comfort, nutrition, complementary and alternative medicine, protective mechanisms, mobility, gastrointestinal and urinary function, sexuality, cardiopulmonary function, Oncology emergencies, end-stage renal disease, psychosocial issues and palliative and end-of-life care.
Diagnosis: The IV Therapy Nurse ensures that the assessment data is analyzed to determine nursing diagnosis. This nurse is also recognized as the expert in outpatient infusion therapy and used as a resource and mentor to regular nursing staff.
* Determines nursing diagnoses and potential problem statements from assessment data.
* Formulates nursing diagnoses that conform to an accepted classification system.
* Develops individualized nursing diagnoses that are physically, psychosocially, spiritually, and culturally appropriate to the patient.
* Ensures nursing diagnoses reflect the patients actual or potential health problems.
* Validates nursing diagnoses with the patient, family, and interdisciplinary cancer care team when possible.
Outcome Identification and Planning: The Nurse ensures that individualized expected outcomes are identified. The IV Therapy Nurse ensures that an individualized and holistic plan of care that prescribes interventions to attain expected outcomes.
* Initiates patient plan of care using assessment data upon admission based on age specific needs.
* Incorporates in the patient plan of care the:
* Nursing diagnosis specific to the patients actual problems/needs.
* Nursing Diagnosis which reflects complex etiology.
* Individual teaching plans using identified teaching needs.
* Nursing interventions consistent with nursing diagnosis and etiology.
* Attainable goals with target dates.
* Documents nursing intervention and patients response by the end of the treatments according to established procedures.
* Implements discharge plans by:
Making appropriate referrals to other health care services.
* Implementing individualized teaching plan based on actual discharge needs.
* Demonstrate understanding of the standards of care related to Hemodialysis/ESRD nursing.
* Demonstrates proficiency in performing dialysis nursing by:
* Assessing patient access for patency and/or complications
* Performing cannulation efficiently and effectively
* Assessing patient pre and post treatment
* performing dialysis treatment per unit standard
* monitoring for patient response to Rx
* Assessing patient for discharge
* Monitoring estimated dry weight appropriately
* Handling complications efficiently and effectively
* seeking guidance/advice from appropriate source when indicated
* maintaining effective psycho-social skills with patients
* Formulates the patient plan of care based on acceptable standards of practice.
* Communicates the patient plan of care (written/verbal) through established procedures.
* Plans individualized patient care using nursing theory in collaboration with patient and other health care providers.
Attends Short and Long Term Care Plan conferences
* Implements patients plan of care in collaboration with patient, family members and significant others.
* Communicates the initial plan of care and revision (written/verbal) through shift reports and other established procedures.
* Implements, consistently provides and documents patient education related to ESRD/dialysis plan of care in the patient record.
* Evaluates nursing interventions to changing patient situations as demonstrated by patient outcome, documentation in the patient record and revision of the plan of care.
* Prioritizes nursing interventions in complex and rapidly changing patient situations, as evidenced by the patient outcome and documentation in the record.
* Recognizes acute problems that occur in the unit and intervenes in a safe manner, in accordance with Nursing Department and Hospital procedure.
* Reports unusual occurrences to Clinical Coordinator/Clinical Nurse Manager and/or MD as appropriate.
* Demonstrates proficiency in administering treatments, procedures and equipment appropriate to the unit/department as demonstrated by the skills checklist.
* The Nurse ensures that the plan of care is implemented to achieve the identified expected outcomes for the patient.
* Administers safely and documents medication regimen according to established protocols with no more than one documented error per year.
* Uses standard precautions as outlined in the Departmental Infection Control Manual.
* Utilizes learning principles as demonstrated by the documentation of teaching outcomes.
Evaluation: The IV Therapy Nurse systematically and regularly evaluates the patients response to interventions to determine progress toward achievement of expected outcomes.
* Ensures that the patient/family and the members of the interdisciplinary cancer care team participate collaboratively in the evaluation process when possible.
* Maintains a systematic and ongoing evaluation process.
* Collects evaluation data from all pertinent sources
* Compares actual findings to expected findings.
* Reviews and revises the nursing diagnoses, expected outcomes and plan of care based on the findings of the evaluation process
* Uses evidence-based research in the evaluation of expected outcomes.
* Communicates the patients response with the interdisciplinary cancer care team and other agencies involved in the healthcare continuum.
* Documents the findings of the evaluation in the patients record.
Nursing Competency: Demonstrates competency in the following areas by physical demonstration, verbal or written exam: Equipment, Age Specific Assessment and Intervention, Procedures such as IV therapy,
Medication Administration, as listed on annual competency assessment form, Hemodialysis, etc.
Partners HealthCare is an Equal Opportunity Employer & by embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law.
Keywords: Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH), Nantucket , Registered Nurse-Infusion-Full Time, Healthcare , Nantucket, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!