RN - Med/Surg - Per Diem
Company: Nantucket Cottage Hospital (nch)
Posted on: June 19, 2022
Per Diem, Rotating shifts
The Registered Staff Nurse is a professional nurse who renders
quality nursing care. Nursing care is based upon the assessed needs
of the patient, is congruent with the prescribed therapy of the
medical staff and is based on the Nursing Department's philosophy
of nursing, and the Hospital's mission, vision and values. The
Registered Staff Nurse will assess, plan, implement, and evaluate
care for all patients. The Registered Staff Nurse is accountable
for the delivery of quality patient care, utilizing the nursing
process for all patients from birth through their adult life
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Collects and documents all data pertinent to each patient's
actual and potential needs on admission or within twenty-four (24)
hours of admission.
- Documents and reports significant finding of ongoing patient
- Formulates the patient plan of care based on age-specific needs
and acceptable standards of practice.
- Communicates the patient plan of care (written/verbal) through
shift reports and other established procedures.
- Initiates discharge plan (with guidance when needed) within
twenty-four (24) hours of admission.
- Implements and documents teaching plan in the patient
- Organizes own patient care and demonstrates ability to set
priorities, providing most acutely needed care first and
implementing physician and nursing orders within appropriate
- Demonstrates proficiency in administering treatments,
procedures, and equipment appropriate to the unit/department as
demonstrated by the skills checklist.
- Administers safely and documents medications according to
- Uses standard precautions as outlined in the Nursing Department
Infection Control Manual.
- Demonstrates ability to prioritize patient/unit needs.
- Completes discharge screening tool upon admission, appropriate
referrals to other care services, and implements individualized
teaching plan based on actual discharge needs.
- Evaluates nursing interventions to changing patient situations
as demonstrated by patient outcome.
- Prioritizes nursing interventions in complex and rapidly
changing patient situations, as evidenced by the patient outcome
and documentation in the record.
- Demonstrates competency in the following areas by physical
demonstration, verbal or written exam (medical equipment, age
specific assessment and intervention, procedures such as IV
therapy, medication administration, initiation of telemetry, etc.),
as may be required in the performance of job duties and
- Attends mandatory Hospital/Nursing Department in-service
training sessions and meetings.
- Actively participates in 75% of unit staff meetings, patient
care conferences, and/or one (1) project relevant to the unit per
- Maintains an environment that is committed to high standards of
patient care and supportive of Nursing Department staff providing
- Assumes responsibility and accountability for providing open
communication, consensus decision-making, group goal setting and
- Assumes authority, responsibility and accountability for
- Functions in a collaborative and collegial relationship with
other health professionals and providers.
- Demonstrates consideration toward patients, family members and
other Hospital personnel by communicating in a professional manner,
acknowledging and understanding their concerns and speaking to them
in a manner which demonstrates concern, dignity and respect.
- Adheres to Hospital/Nursing Department policy and dresses in a
manner that represents the nursing profession as a professional;
maintains personal cleanliness of dress and hygiene, wears
identification badge at all times while working.
- Participates in disciplinary performance improvement and other
activities designed for professional growth.
- Reviews and signs all in-service updates.
- Identifies own limitations in skills and knowledge as
demonstrated by seeking guidance when needed from appropriate
- Identifies and meets individual annual goals.
- Participates in decision-making processes of unit/Nursing
- Demonstrates leadership skills.
- Recognizes acute problems that occur in the unit and intervenes
in a safe manner, in accordance with Nursing Department and
- Provides assistance to other staff members during orientation
and as needed and requested.
- Participates in the development and implementation of Nursing
Department goals and objectives by providing constructive
- When performing the role of Day Charge nurse, attends discharge
- Maintains confidentiality of organizational and patient
information in accordance with Hospital policy and applicable
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required for the
- Tactfully communicate with both internal and external
- Use a telephone, fax, copier, radio, and all other equipment
associated with nursing practice.
- Stand and walk 90% of the shift, frequent pushing, climbing,
bending, reaching, stooping, squatting and helping lift objects and
patients ranging from five (5) to three hundred (300) pounds.
- Use hands, fingers, arms and wrists, hearing, smell, and verbal
skills are required in order to perform job duties.
- Utilize face shields/mask, gloves, protective clothing, safety
glasses, and other protection associated with the care of
patients.Credentials and Experience Required
- Graduate of an accredited nursing school required; Bachelor's
Degree in Nursing preferred.
- One (1) year of prior, related medical/surgical experience
- Current, valid Massachusetts Registered Nurse ('RN) license
- Professional certification in applicable nursing field(s)
- Certificate as a provider in BLS
- Certificate as a provider in ACLS, PALS and/or Neonatal
- Completed training in IS-100, IS-700 and any other mandated
requirements for emergency management
- Available to work day, evening and/or night shift as well as
rotation on weekends as assigned. Must be able to rotate to units
- Willing to work additional shifts as assigned.
- Availability to stay overnight should need arise during patient
transports off island.
- May be exposed to the following hazards: temperature
fluctuations, moderate noise levels, minimal dust, infectious
diseases and other chemicals as customarily used in a hospital
setting. Exposure to various hazards in handling patient
- Available to work overtime as needed to complete all job
- Available to work in the case of a Hospital declared
Nantucket Cottage Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By
embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to
lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national
origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation,
military service, genetic information, and/or other status
protected under law. We will ensure that all individuals with a
disability are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate
in the job application or interview process, to perform essential
job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of
Keywords: Nantucket Cottage Hospital (nch), Nantucket , RN - Med/Surg - Per Diem, Healthcare , Nantucket, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!