LPN - Clinics - Full-Time
Company: Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH)
Posted on: June 18, 2022
Full-time, 40 hours per week, Rotating shifts
The Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) in the physician practices
participates in nursing care and services to patients, including
assessment of health status, gathering and interpreting
information, providing health teaching, and performing specific
nursing functions. Additionally, he/she collaborates with other
health care providers to ensure quality and continuity of care. The
LPN bears full responsibility for the care he/she provides. The LPN
may delegate nursing activities within his/her scope of practice to
administratively assigned staff, such as medical assistants.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
Provides direct and indirect nursing care as part of a nursing care
plan or a prescribed medical regime that has been incorporated into
a nursing care plan.
- Assesses an individual's basic health status, records and
related health data.
- Participates in analyzing and interpreting an individual's
basic health status and information.
- Documents own activities in a timely manner in the patient
- Provides health education to facilitate patient treatment
- Actively empowers patient and family to effectively manage
their health care and navigate the health care system.
- Respects and supports patient and family's cultural beliefs and
values, individual needs, health goals and treatment
preferences.Participates in planning and implements nursing
interventions and functions, including but not limited to:
- Administers medications ordered by a licensed prescriber
- Administers immunizations, vaccinations and allergy injections
ordered by a licensed prescriber
- Conducts health screening activities
- Changes wound dressings consistent with a nursing care
- Performs respiratory treatments ordered by a licensed
- Performs first aidCollaborates with all members of the health
care team to ensure coordination of care as indicated.
- May act as patient flow manager
- Actively engages in creating a healthy, respectful work
- Participates in health activities in the community as indicated
e.g. vaccination and screening clinics
Participates in activities that ensure safe, efficient and
- Identifies opportunities, and solutions, to ensure a safe,
efficient and cost-effective practice environment.
- Demonstrates compliance with regulatory requirements
- Participates in quality and safety initiatives
- Generates innovative ideas to improve care delivery and work
flow in the practice environment.
- Precepts and mentors' new members of the team.
- Participates in departmental and organizational committees and
- Maintains and updates skills based on current nursing
- Adheres to departmental requirements for required
- Identifies specific learning needs and goals and collaborates
with nursing leadership in developing a plan to meet them.
- Any and all other duties as indicated within scope of
practiceSpecific Job Duties and Responsibilities
Responsible for handling calls from patients and/or patient
representative who are seeking medical information and/or medical
attention. Facilitates scheduling of appointments as the patient's
condition requires, answer questions and provide health education
to patients on the phone who have questions about their care.
Specific duties include:
- Participates in daily "morning huddle," proactively identifying
clinical care, concerns, and needs for patient's/families scheduled
for the day.
- Helps facilitate processing medication refills.
- Conducts patient call-backs/follow-up calls within a timely
manner and documents the interaction within the EHR.
- Supports the office team with obtaining required medical
- Completes medical and treatment pre-authorizations in a timely
- Helps make referral to outside institutions if clinical
expertise is needed.
- Assists the providers and other office staff with scheduling
patients for required medical appointments, utilizing EMR, and
other available scheduling systems.
- Assists the provider as needed with EMR in-basket
- Administers immunizations within established practice
- Completion of a pre-visit comprehensive assessment, intake, and
history of new patients.
- Rooming patients and preparing the patient and room for the
provider, to include the following:
- Gathering of all appropriate supplies.
- Opening the clinical record using the appropriate
- Review and documentation of all relevant clinical information
in each patient's records, to include:
- Chief complaint/reason for visit/nursing assessment.
- Current and past medications (medication reconciliation).
- Relevant patient, family, and social history (including smoking
- Health Maintenance status/requirements.
- Nursing care provided.
- Vaccine status and administration.
- Vital signs.
- Fall screening for patients > 65.
- Review and document allergies.
- Ensure patient's choice of pharmacy is noted.
- Other screenings/information as required.
- Completion of screening and evaluation forms (PEDS, Post-Partum
- Review PROMS questionnaire.
- Confirm all appropriate patient consents for treatment/care
(surgical procedures, Care in L&D, Sterilization, etc.) are
obtained and provide education if necessary.
- Ensures all required insurance/forms are reviewed and signed by
the patient (Medicare physical and medication/vaccine
- Comprehensive teaching and education of patients and/or their
families utilizing current, standardized teaching tools and
- Assists the provider with treatments/screenings.
- (already stated above)Completion of all nurse visits, in a
timely manner, to include:
- Providing and recording appropriate assessment and treatment
- Consults with provider, as required.
- Completion of coding within the EHR in accordance with
documented industry standards and Partners Policy.
- Sends/responds to clinical messages in a timely manner.
- Assists other nurses as needed.
- Keep rooms adequately stocked.
- Assist patients in and out of wheelchairs and other assistance
- Other duties as assigned.
- Telephone Triage
- Responds to patient phone calls in a timely manner, collecting
sufficient information related to the presenting problem and
- Furnishes medical advice within the scope of the practice.
- Sends Provider note within EHR with pertinent information if
- Facilitates the scheduling of appointments, based on
- Accurately documents the encounter with the patient in the
- Maintains work queue within the EMR.
- Follows up as necessary.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required for the
- Knowledge ofbasic nursing principles.
- Good computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office,
electronic medical record systems, and medical office practice
- Effective analytical skills.
- Demonstrated strong and effective interpersonal and
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills.
- Ability to tactfully communicate with both internal and
- Ability to use fingers and hands to operate all
department-related equipment as described on the Department
checklist. Additionally, must use telephone, calculator, fax,
copier, scanner, and other related office equipment.
- Ability to frequently bend, using back and knees.
- Ability to stand and walk 40 sit 60 of the time. Ability to
frequently climb, bend, reach, stoop, squat, help lift objects from
five to fifty pounds and move patients via wheelchair or stretcher.
Ability to independently lift from five to twenty-five pounds.
- Ability to present themselves in a professional manner.
- Ability to develop a rapport with providers, clinical staff,
patients, and families.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively with managers,
employees, vendors, contractors, and other agencies. Demonstrated
ability to be flexible, highly organized and make independent
decisions in response to operational issues within medical office
environments. Knowledge of basic principles of
practice/departmental management.Credentials and Experience
- Current licensure as a practical nurse in the Commonwealth of
- Previous experience in as LPN in ambulatory setting if not
- Graduate of an approved practical nursing program
- Certified in Basic Life Support (or comparable that has Adult/
Pedi first aid/CPR/AED) within 90 days of hire date.Special
- Work hours will be determined by the Director of the practice
and/or the Clinical Nurse Manager and needs of the practice and
will include evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Overtime as necessary to complete assigned work.
- Must be available to work in the case of a declared hospital
- May be required to attend meetings on or off the island.
Nantucket Cottage Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By
embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to
lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national
origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation,
military service, genetic information, and/or other status
protected under law. We will ensure that all individuals with a
disability are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate
in the job application or interview process, to perform essential
job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of
Keywords: Nantucket Cottage Hospital (NCH), Nantucket , LPN - Clinics - Full-Time, Healthcare , Nantucket, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!