Nurse Manager, Float Pool and Staffing Office
Company: Cape Cod Healthcare Inc.
Posted on: November 21, 2022
Purpose of Position The Manager is responsible for overall
coordination of staffing and scheduling of Cape Cod Hospital and
Falmouth Hospital assigned units ensuring that budget and patient
care requirements are met. Plans, organizes, budgets, directs and
controls all activities of assigned over flow units on a 24-hour
basis when operating. Functions independently within broad scope of
established policies and goals. Refers specific problems to the
CNO/VP Patient Care where clarification, interpretation, or
exception to hospital policy, may be required.Description
- Responsible for tracking and generating reports for Managers,
Human Resources, and Senior Leadership.
- Manages overall operation of assigned overflow units and
staffing office and ensures that needed and required policies,
systems, procedures and standards are in effect and communicated to
staff members on all shifts. Regularly reviews compliance through
examination of records and reports, and discussion with supervisory
and staff personnel.
- Maintains current knowledge of Joint Commission and other
applicable regulatory standards for assigned unit and staffing
office. Ensures that policies and procedures are current,
participates in inspections by Joint Commission, State Public
Health representatives, makes corrections resulting from such
surveys, and documents changes made and reports as required.
Obtains legal policy advice as needed. Regularly updates knowledge
of techniques and regulations appropriate to the age of the
patients served on the particular nursing unit.
- Interviews, selects, orients, schedules and assigns unit
personnel. Counsels employees, recommends various personnel
actions, takes appropriate disciplinary action for infractions of
policy, resolves conflict among staff, and aids in resolution of
grievances. Oversees and facilitates the staffing and scheduling
process for assigned units. Conducts performance evaluations of
assigned personnel and contributes evaluation information on other
personnel as appropriate. Conducts evaluations for new staff prior
to completion of probationary period. Supervises and evaluates
clinical activities of contracted licensed nurses working within
their department and ensures contracted licensed nurses know
current policies and procedures.
- Actively participates in related Labor Relations
activities/meetings as they pertain to contractual language
relevant to Staffing and Scheduling.
- Maintains in depth knowledge and understanding of all staffing,
budget, union language, scheduling and pay policies and procedures
as well as an ability to effectively communicate this
- Liaison to assist the IS team to help facilitate programming of
the ATSS system, TESTs the system, upgrades and education. Provides
training classes on ATSS for CCHC as needed.
- Recommends positions and necessary staffing required,
participates in preparation of unit operating and capital budgets,
justifies need for additional staffing, reviews periodic
performance reports to the budget, monitors patient charges and
expenses, and maintains expenditures within allocated funds.
- Handles all aspects related to employee time records prior to
timecard processing. (I.e. sick calls, filling open shifts, sign
ups and daily schedule reconciliation.)
- Handles all apses related to employee time cards prior to
payroll involvement and the electronic paperwork for payroll
adjustments if paychecks are incorrect.
- Responsible for safety and comfort of patients and health and
safety of employees and provides for orientation to and practice of
emergency procedures, fire drills, evacuation procedures, and
internal/external disaster plans and procedures. Provides for
orientation to and compliance with all infection control policies
and procedures. Collaborates with hospital support services to
provide a safe, clean and secure environment for patients, staff
and visitors. Evaluates and sets standards for unit facilities and
equipment, and monitors utilization of equipment, supplies and
- Promotes open communication within the unit, department and
with other units and departments. Maintains effective inter-shift
communications with charge nurses, unit managers and off-shift
supervisors to maintain continuity of care. Plans and conducts unit
staff meetings. Provides input and standards in formulating patient
care policy and procedures. Works with medical staff to coordinate
medical and nursing management of patient care. Utilizes and
promotes Quality Improvement standards and practice.
- Supervises nursing activities related to patient care and sets
standards for accurate reporting and recording of patients'
symptoms, reactions and progress. Organizes patient care and
ensures continuity of care based on physician orders and knowledge
of clinical nursing needs of patients. Evaluates patient care
through assessment, planning, intervention, re-evaluation,
observation, written documentation, and comparison to established
standards. Administers nursing care to patients, as needed, to
maintain clinical skills and to assess patient requirements.
- Interprets philosophy, goals, objectives, policies and
procedures for personnel, patients, and the public. Provides for
professional growth and development of nursing staff, encouraging
formal and continuing education. Establishes climate conducive to
meeting educational needs and efforts to unit. Provides direction
to educational and teaching efforts of the department of the
hospital. Collaborates with clinical instructors in planning,
implementation and evaluation of clinical experience of affiliating
students. Assumes responsibility for own personal continuing
education and development needs; attends meetings, workshops and
conventions to enrich personal knowledge, growth and skill in
providing clinical care for patients.
- Serves as a resource to other units in clinical specialty.
Communicates with family members and health professionals regarding
care of patients. Serves as patient advocate within guidelines
found in the Patient Bill of Rights. Serves on nursing committees,
hospital committees, or professional nursing organizations. Fosters
good public relations for unit, department and hospital.
- Assumes role of manager on designated weekends and
- Weekend on call as required for emergent staffing issues.
- Performs other work-related management duties and activities as
assigned or requested.
- Consistently provides service excellence to all patients,
family members, visitors, volunteers and co-workers.
- Challenges current working practices; identifies process
improvement opportunities and presents recommendations and
solutions to management. Engages and commits to the organization's
culture of continuous improvement by actively participating,
supporting, and promoting CCHC Pillars of Excellence.
- Current RN License in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Bachelor's degree or current enrollment required (BSN
preferred, MSN or MBA a plus)
- Current BLS Certification
- Currently ACLS Certification
- CPI (Crisis prevention) certification within 4 months (Provided
- Three to five years of management experience in a Hospital
- Experience with staffing & scheduling required
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Strong computer skills to include Microsoft office, staffing
- Experience and execution with process improvement
- Experience with general business operations preferred
Keywords: Cape Cod Healthcare Inc., Nantucket , Nurse Manager, Float Pool and Staffing Office, Administration, Clerical , Barnstable, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!